Problems running and debugging InfoPath 2003 ??

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I developed a Digital Signing component (see previous post) tested it and put it under source control. A week later I tried the component again and this time it wouldn't work. I tried everything, but still couldn't figure out what went wrong, considering nothing had actually changed on the code level.

After some searching I came across the solution on the newsgroups. It turns out that InfoPath (and maybe other Office Product) defaults to .NET 2.0 if installed. And as it turned out, although I hadn't yet installed the 2nd version of the framework, it some how was installed on my computer. I blame WINDOWS UPDATE, which is constantly running.. ;-)

To get the InfoPath to default back to .NET 1.1, you need to update or create a file named INFOPATH.EXE.CONFIG, add it to the same directory as your infopath.exe and add the following:

<?xml version ="1.0"?>
<configuration>
    <startup>
        <requiredRuntime version="v1.1.4322"/>
    </startup>
</configuration>

Apparently this goes for any old .NET applications.

To read more about this:
Visual Studio 2003 Mixed Mode Debugging Crash

Posted by Marcus Rosen at 9:19 PM  

4 comments:

Incidentally, if you're trying to run this on a machine with the form and certificate installed (and no development tools), you might get this message instead:

"Signature not valid - The form changed after it was signed"

It turns out that adding the InfoPath.exe.Config file fixes it!

Anonymous said...
2:23 PM  

An aside: InfoPath will throw a OverflowException if it cannot locate the certificate. Make sure if you're using the "My" store that the certificate is in the user's Personal store or if using "Root" that it's part of the trusted root certificates.

Anonymous said...
11:38 AM  

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...
6:06 AM  

I am also facing similar problem and I created the file infopath.exe and added the xml as per your instruction.But my bad luck that this did not resolved my problem.Can you guess what the reason could be.It really sucks.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment